Contact us on
020 8977 5865
If your vehicle is more than 3 years old, it will require an MOT each year. This ensures that it is road worthy and that its emissions meet strict standards and driving a vehicle without a valid MOT could result in a fine or ban. It’s now been a year now since new MOT rules were introduced, so here’s a quick recap of the major changes:
1. Emissions: Stricter rules have now been applied to help protect the environment, particularly for diesel vehicles. Any car that has a diesel particulate filter (DPF) and that displays any visible smoke during testing will get a major fault, which would cause the car to fail. Your car will also fail if the MOT detects any tampering with the DPF.
2. New Items Added: Under the new MOT test, some further items have been included in the test:
If you think your car may be showing signs of the above , or are concerned about its safety, please do not wait for your MOT.
3. New Categories for Results: Previously it was a case of passing or failing, but now any faults found are classed as
If you take have your vehicle tested before your current MOT certificate runs out and it fails, that will invalidate your current certificate and your defects must be repaired before you can drive your car away.
Advisories will still be given for things that should be be monitored before they become a defect.
4. The Certificate Design has been changed: It now lists any defects under the new categories, so they’re clear and easy to understand.
5. Old Cars: Cars over 40 years old that haven’t been significantly changed will no longer require an MOT. Previously this exemption only applied to cars that were built before 1960.
For further information on the new MOT, you can visit the government website page here
And if you would like to see your vehicle’s MOT history, this information can now be accessed for free for tests taken since 2005 – see here.
70 – 72 Wellington Road
Monday to Friday
8.00am – 5.30pm
8.00am – 12.00pm
Servicing & Bodyshop
Tel 020 8977 5865
24 Hr Recovery
Tel 020 8977 5865 (Option 3)
At H&L Motors, we value your feedback.
Please let us know how you got on