About / History
In 1953, two years after Henry Laney had brought a share in a small car breakdown repair and service business, he launched H&L Motors on its current site in Wellington Road Twickenham. Since that day, as a one-man band in a single workshop, with the application of 60 years of hard work, love of cars, investment in technology and above all the desire to provide customer value, H&L Motors is today a highly respected fixture of the Twickenham car scene employing over 30 car repair professionals.
In the 1960’s Henry added MOT testing work and panel beating and car spraying to his portfolio and a new workshop. In the 1970’s Henry was forced to buy the premises from his landlord to stop it being sold on. This enabled a surge of investment in the business with, amongst others, the development of the new mechanical workshop at the turn of the decade.
Henry left the business for a well-earned retirement in 1982 and placed it in the capable hands of his son Peter. Peter has since upped the pace of investment adding a vehicle paint oven and hi-tech paint mixing and storage facilities in the 1980’s plus the new paint and preparation workshop in the early 1990’s. An aluminium welding facility was added in the 2000’s, one of the few in the South West of London. In addition H&L introduced their loyalty scheme plus the much recognisable staff uniforms now proudly worn by all H&L representatives.
Another crucial change in the 2000’s was the welcoming of Jonathon as a partner of the business. With their joint insistence on maintaining business investment in technology and their continuing determination to provide the best customer service both Peter and Jonathon’s business could not be better placed to service Twickenham for many years to come.